There is help…life does not have to be lived in the shadows of emotional pain.
What to Look For
Some of the signs and symptoms that you or someone you love might need some help include:
- Trouble functioning at home or work
- Struggling with fear, anxiety or depression
- Having destructive thoughts and/or behaviors
- Appearing emotionally numb and withdrawn from others
- Trouble eating or sleeping
- Experiencing relationship problems
- Using alcohol or other drugs to cope or feel better
- Accumulating gambling debts
- Compulsive use of internet pornography
My goal is to help bring lives back into balance by addressing mental health, emotional health, physical health and spiritual health.
The Science of Dependence
In decades past, alcohol or drug dependence were seen as a “moral failing” or “character defect.” However, with the advancement of medical science, we now understand that these conditions are actually symptoms of a chronic brain disease and a “hijacking” of the brain’s neural pathways for the pleasure and reward systems. There is also increasing evidence that behavioral dependencies, such as gambling addiction or compulsive use of internet pornography also stimulate these same neural pathways.
But there is hope! Medications are now available for some types of chemical and mental health disorders, that when combined with psychotherapy and improved coping skills can lead to a significantly improved quality of life.